The Salt Lake City Mayor’s Office is looking for government affairs and public policy interns to join our Diversity and Human Rights and Refugee and New Americans Policy Team. Mainly specializing in constituent outreach and engagement, the Salt Lake City Office of Diversity and Human Rights (ODHR) Internship provides an excellent opportunity for students to learn about the internal organization and operations of the Mayor’s Office. This job is designed to provide students with paid professional experience to further their education and training and is academically oriented for the student’s benefit. To qualify students must be enrolled in an accredited school program related to the type of work they are expected to perform. Positions will terminate upon completion of the internship period. Incumbents may deal with confidential information, which is expected to be maintained as confidential and shared only on a need-to-know basis with city employees and elsewhere when authorized by the intern’s designated city supervisor.
- Collects data and reviews research materials, determines accuracy and validity of sources and appropriateness for use.
- Designs, develops, and conducts a variety of research projects; determines appropriate methodologies, information sources, sampling strategies and data-collection tools, etc.
- Performs research activities by utilizing computer software to obtain and manipulate data.
- Writes or drafts technical reports, articles or related material based on research, investigation or analysis.
- Create images and graphics for social media posts and then update social media platforms and write copy for posts.
- Attend meetings and take minutes.
- Fulfill tasks set out by supervisor(s) from the policy team.
- Work on special projects and assist in planning events.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Complies with city and department policies and procedures.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college or university. Summer internships may not require concurrent enrollment if student is in good standing with the educational institution.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated organizational and analytical skills.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Interest in government affairs, local politics, and community outreach.
- Critical thinking ability.
- Strong communication and verbal acumen.
- Flexibility in day to day responsibilities.
- Previous experience with graphic design work preferred.
- Experience in Adobe Suite Creative Cloud (Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop) preferred.